Location, this apartment was great in many ways. As a Columbia Student, it was a 10 - 15 minute walk to campus, for which I got to walk through the park and get a little activity each day (beautiful scene when it snows too!). Its also a couple minutes walk from the 110th B,C trains, which meant I could very easily get around the city using public transport regardless of rain or snow. There is also a bus stop right around the block, which goes downtown and also hits WholeFoods on the way. What I really liked was that our street, Manhattan Ave was on the quieter side, but one avenue over on Frederick Douglass Blvd has a great range of entertainment and dining places. S. K.
In 1859, the sanctuary of undulating hills, bridges and lakes taking shape in the heart of Manhattan was described in The New York Times as a “noble work, which is so clearly destined to be the honor and delight of New York.”
Designed by Frederick Law Olmsted and Calvert Vaux, Central Park’s more than 840 acres are dappled with sculptures, monuments and fountains that tell of the nation’s explorers, artists and heroes, both real and imaginary: Columbus, Beethoven, Duke Ellington, John Lennon, Alice in Wonderland. The park is also home to tennis and handball courts, croquet greens, a carousel, a castle, a marionette theater, a zoo and more than a dozen playgrounds. It is crisscrossed by horse-drawn carriages and ringed by astronomically priced apartments, luxury hotels and world-class museums. Yet despite its being a kind of three-ring circus, there are quiet trails and hidden nooks, museums and bars within and around the park where one can find a more tranquil, timeless Manhattan.
Central Park Summer Guide
Summer in New York. Enjoy the sunny weather by picnicking on a lush lawn, watching live music, seeing a movie, playing free games, or discovering a new area of the Park. This Summer Guide has all you need to know about the season’s happenings in Central Park. The Central Park Conservancy is responsible for all of the essential work that keeps Central Park beautiful.
1. Conservatory Garden, Central Park.
2. Museum of the City of New York, 1220 Fifth Avenue; mcny.org. Neue Galerie, 1048 Fifth Avenue, neuegalerie.org. Metropolitan Museum of Art Roof Garden Café and Martini Bar, 1000 Fifth Avenue; metmuseum.org/visit.
4. The Ramble, Central Park.
5. North Woods, Central Park.
6. Nougatine, Trump Hotel Central Park, 1 Central Park West; jean-georges.com.
7. American Museum of Natural History, Central Park West at 79th Street; amnh.org. Rose Center for Earth and Space, 81st Street between Central Park West and Columbus Avenue, amnh.org/exhibitions/permanent-exhibitions.
8. Dizzy’s Club Coca-Cola, 10 Columbus Circle; jazz.org/dizzys.php.
9. Tavern on the Green, Central Park West and 67th Street; tavernonthegreen.com.
10. Loeb Boathouse, Central Park; enter at East 72nd Street and Fifth Avenue; thecentralparkboathouse.com.
11. Central Park Zoo, between East 63rd and 66th Streets; centralparkzoo.com.